Tuesday, April 6

Rabies Post-exposure treatment

It was Black Saturday of 2010, and I was there on Hospital ER with my head spinning as what the heck I was doing here.


I was bitten by a dog, and unfortunately, it wasn’t mine. I wouldn’t bother getting an anti-rabies shot if it was either of my 2 dogs bit me (accidentally) and it was such a minor wound (they have anti-rabies vaccine). But it was my folks’ dog. What bothered me? It wasn’t vaccinated against anti-rabies. Though he is usually chained and sort-of considered as clean, I would not want to take a risk. Even if he appears normal at first sight and does not manifest any rabies symptom, I cannot confidently say he is not infected with rabies virus.
At the ER, after the usual series of questions, they categorized my post exposure as under Category III:
Category III: one or more bites, scratches, licks on broken skin, or other contact that breaks the skin; or exposure to bats

Treatment of Category III post-exposure started with cleansing and disinfecting of wounds, and of course, series of vaccines. It is a big no-no to treat your animal bite wounds with garlic (as most of the elderly believe as the first-aid treatment for animal bites). It is best to clean the wound with soap and clean water.
For Day 1 of the Post exposure, I received 6 vaccinations:
- 2 Shots of anti-tetanus toxoid, injected on my left and right arm
- 2 shots of Verorab™, injected on both arms, intradermal
- 1 skin test for ERIG – This is the most painful shot since this is injected just underneath my skin.
- 1 shot (10.5mL) of Favirab™ -The amount needed is determined by my weight. This was injected on my buttocks since the wound area (my breast) needs infiltration, I opt to have it on my butt instead, and it hurt big time. This was injected 30 minutes after the skin test was administered and turned negative.

Today was my 2nd dose of vaccine schedule (Day 3 of Post Exposure). I had 2 shots of Verorab™, still administered on both arms.
I’ll be back on Day 10 and Day 21 for my 3rd and 4th dose of Verorab.
Rabies post-exposure treatment would really cost you an arm and a leg. To give you an idea how much did my first day of treatment cost, I was charged Php 9000+, while my succeeding doses cost Php 1600+ each. Thank goodness it was covered under my HMO. Else, it will drill a big hole in my pocket.

No comments :

Post a Comment