Wednesday, September 30

Ondoy Typhoon Aftermath

A senseless, unproductive hibernation which lasted for 4 days (and wish to stop counting), this is how I would describe my days after the Ondoy typhoon strucked the Philippines. 4 days and our area is still submerged in waist level flood, not subsiding for even just an inch I was begging every morning the moment I get up from bed. As of writing, power has not been restored yet. This irks me. I can go on with the flooded area and all, but please have the power restored at least so I can resume with my almost-normal life then. But according to Meralco, they will restore it within the week PROVIDED that the flood already subsided. And I could read it as It is not possible for your area because the water level has not even subsided by an inch for days!!! It generates a lot of nuisances I am slowly losing my patience dealing with:
- Idleness. Can’t do anything but clean the house, tidy the dogs, cook, and wash the dishes. With much effort as you struggle through the darkness.
- Dead Cellphones – can’t communicate with other people outside because I can’t recharge my cellphone. Can’t even read ebooks.
- Less awareness of what’s going on from the other side of the earth. Now I realized the importance of Newspapers in the absence of other news media.
- Piling laundry. Won’t do it now without washing machine. Unless I am so damn bored.
- Spoiled Food. Without refrigerator around, we are forced to consume everything that is easily spoiled within the day; otherwise food will go to waste.
- Humidity and mosquitoes. Why is the latter created anyway?
- Can’t stay late. Need to be home before the sun sets, unless you want adventure struggling through the dark streets of Pasig.
I opted not to challenge myself coming to the office for the past 2 days. But I decided to do so today because I feel I have a lot of catching up to do. I can spend my day doing something productive than staring at the water which can't do anything anyway.
I hope the Pasig City government will do something about the mess left by Ondoy. According to residents of Pasig, this is the first time the area has been submerged in a flood for days (I am even thinking it will not be over for a week, pessimist *grin*). But there is always a first time. I hope they will come up with something so we won’t have next times.






No comments :

Post a Comment