Saturday, July 31

Wipe your harddisks clean


I've mentioned from my previous post that I've been working on a linux desktop. The pc came from PLDT as a freebie for subscribing on a DSL biz plan. Due to licensing costs (perhaps), they loaded the desktop with a linux OS. I thought it shouldn't really matter much, as I can easily re-format the HD if I wanted to use Windows. I worked on it for almost two weeks, but due to some limitations (sorry linux fans), I decided to say goodbye to Linux.

So when I inserted a Windows CD, it didn't boot to CD, proceeded to Linux OS (I am using Ubuntu, by the way). I even made sure that the first boot device is the CD. Tried a couple of times, no luck. Checked some guides on how to do this thing over the internet, but their instructions, which appear so easy, don't work on my system. Before I threw the HD, I tried using Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN)

Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot disk that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.


It took almost 2 hours to completely wipe the HD, and it came out clean indeed.
So now, I am back to working with XP. But the linux experience was good. Hope there would be more improvements. Linux is a pretty OS though. I hope I won't miss it that much.

No comments :

Post a Comment