Wednesday, July 28

Chic Lit Review: Lost Dogs and Lonely hearts


Few of the things I missed when I got married was reading books. I am a chic lit addict before, but never got the luxury of time to read books since I signed off singlehood.

Last month, I decided to free up some time to be back with my old hobby. I picked a chic lit from the bookstore. And being a dog lover, the book by Lucy Dillon caught my attention. Lost Dogs and Lonely hearts.

The story is about a London girl (Rachel) who retreats to the country after she inherited her maiden aunt's estate, including a house, a border collie, and a kennel. Though apprehensive, she had no choice but to manage what her aunt has left her. There she met a handful of people with heart for dogs, and dogs that changed her a lot. There she also found, after 10 years of failed relationship, her true love, the local vet.

Other than Rachel's character, the author also introduced other characters which played equally inportant roles. There was Zoe, a divorced mom of two kids. She was forced to take care of a labrador Toffee given to her kids by his ex-husband. This totally impossible labrador led her to a handsome doctor Bill.

Natalie and Johnny, a couple who, for the longest time, trying to conceive, found happiness on the basset hound (Bertie) they adopted from the rescue shelter Rachel's aunt (Dot) left. Though a busy couple. Natalie found a reason to adopt Bertie when she was laid off from work. They focused their attention to the dog, while trying to conceive. When Natalie decided to get back to work, the couple's dilemma of keeping or releasing Bertie to a new home started. I felt strongly for these character because my husband and I also take care of dogs while we don't have kids yet. And it is indeed a painful decision to let your dog go.

I was surprised that the author was able to pull off with the interwoven plot. All of the characters came from a distressed circumstances, crossed paths to meet their four-legged friends, and through them, complete void part of their lives. The book is a must read, for dogs and non-dog persons alike.

No comments :

Post a Comment