Friday, July 23

Scramble Craze

  Anyone probably of my age (or at least the same generation) knew this popular pinoy dessert. Pinoy childhood will never be complete without experiencing scramble (Iskrambol), especially right after our classes.
And it has been years since I last tasted one. I've been quite particular with how they were made since I've been seeing blocks of ice being dragged on the streets (dirty streets, mind you). And these ice, being the main ingredient of one of my favorite pinoy street food, made me realize it isn't safe to consume one from there.
A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a long queue of customers in SM Megamall Foodcourt. Tracing where the long line start, I saw it was from a scramble foodcart (The original Manila Scramble). I would love to try it as well since I've been missing this food a lot. But since I am on a hurry, I have to pass on to this one.
Good thing there was a stall in Robinson's Pioneer (which is near my workplace). Though I tried a couple of times to buy, I've been discouraged so many times as well because of the long queue.
Just today, I dropped by the mall at 10:45 in the morning, and tried my luck to buy a scramble. I wasn't expecting a long line since the mall had just opened. But when I got there, I was 8th in the line, and the staff was not yet done preparing the ingredient. I smacked my forehead in annoyance because it took them around 15minutes since I got there to serve the queue. I said to myself it must taste good to make my wait worth it.
I ordered medium sized scramble (php10), that includes the milk and choco syrup. I requested an additional rice crispies topping (php4 for each topping). You can choose from other toppings like chocolate crispies, fruit loops, candy sprinkle, cereal crispies. You can also request for an additional milk, just add Php4.
And so,after so many years, I got to taste again my favorite scramble. And it was just like how the scramble we buy outside the school tastes like. It was a trip down to memory lane. Now I understand what the long line in Manila Scramble is all about. More than the food, almost all of us have stories we remember while we finish the dessert. And for first timers, it was a bridge to have them connected to what scramble-lovers got to tell.
So was it worth the wait? Yes. But I just hope they improve their service a little more. Who wants to wait by the way?
Photos courtesy of ManilaScramble Facebook page

2 comments :

  1. wow! I remember si mamang scramble when i was a kid with browncow syrup on top.. yumyum! will try that when I had a chance to visit SM Megamall. Thanks sis for the info. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sis, I realized that the one in megamall foodcourt is not manila scramble. Buz box sya. I tried it last weekend. Mas masarap sya kesa sa Manila scramble. Will post my review soon.

    ReplyDelete